PFM Logo Fokker Triplane Model T Curtiss Canuck

September 29, 2007 Project Update

Repaired wheel cover

Bill Walsh, Al Sumrall, Dick Schenck and at least two other guys worked on window frames for the old hanger. Glass was installed, and eventually all hands turned to rooting out trash and debris from the two hangers. The frames were not installed nor were any more frames removed for "The Treatment". I could be wrong though!

Richard Blackett set to repairing the peeling paint on the triplane's starboard wheel. The airplane was jacked up and the wheel/tire removed. Using only the most aromatic and exotic high-inducing chemicals Richard scrubbed off the glues used to fasten the patch. He then prepared the patch for re-application and doped it on.

Fuel tank re-installed

Several guys, Ted Dawson and Mike McCormick among them, prepared the sloshing compound and sloshed both cavities in the fuel tank. Terry Bledsoe scrubbed off damaged paint (caused by Roger when he sloshed the tanks with chemicals to remove fuel and oil residue as a prep for resealing the tanks) and later repainted the tank. The fuel tank was reinstalled and secured in place. David Miller prepared the fuselage pipe repair components and along with Greg Solberg reinstalled the tank and fastened it in securely. Everyone felt it was important to get the fuel tank reinstalled well before the sloshing compound had cured completely. The current thinking for the fuel leak was that the tank gets slightly twisted when installed in the fuselage and that caused the leak!

Greg Solberg also spent a fair amount of time cleaning up the cockpit and the engine bay while the engine and fuel tank were out of the aircraft. Roger specifically requested this as a prep for the FAA inspection that will need to be done before the airplane flies! So we are getting close, guys!

Gordon, the VAS craftsman working on the SPAD XIII sprayed our engine cowl in primer. This part still needs some bits and pieces riveted on and the cable hold-down fabricated. The cable's ends may be somewhat problematical. But all the parts aside from the cable and its ends are completed and primed. Carl Canga sent along the templates for the "face" on the front of the engine cowl, so those are present and ready to roll. Roger has plenty of stuff to paint black!

Tom Gaylord spent parts of the day dabbling on various projects, but the bulk of it was spent cleaning the rust off of the turnbuckles that tension the elevator and rudder control cables. These were taken apart, cleaned on a wire wheel and primered. They still need to be painted black. Of course, the turnbuckle ends attached to the control horns were easy since these could be removed from the airframe. The turnbuckle ends permanently attached to the cable ends were not so easy. The wire wheel had to be taken over to the airplane within reach of the cables and then the cable ends had to be taped to prevent the cables from being primed along with the turnbuckle.